Sunday 17 June 2012

Peach Blossom Perfection - A Desperate Housewife Quilt Block

You may not have realised it yet, but it turns out that I'm one of those people who thrives on tight deadlines.. give me unlimited time and I'll procrastinate, but give me a short deadline and I'll surprise even myself! That's not to say that it's my preferred mode of action, it just seems to be the most productive!

Anyway, after completing my "Thifty Housewife" block for Jane's Desperate Housewife's Quilt I asked her how many blocks she still needed to reach her goal of 100 blocks in total.. and with a little help from the Quilt Club Australia girls, Jane was able to close the gap significantly (she has 6 guest blocks this week!). Still, she was one or two blocks shy of the total.. so naturally I offered to whip up another block because I had nothing better to do ;) (Haha, actually it was rather the opposite- this week/weekend is crazy busy, but refer to my earlier comments about tight deadlines!)

I pulled some of my precious Kate Spain "Good Fortune" scraps, my 1" hexie template (available for purchase in Jane's store!) and even fussy cut my fabric! I'll confess that the green print is a generic Spotlight print because none of my green GF scraps were big enough to turn into hexies.

To make one block you will need to cut:
6x hexagons in your "floral" print
4x hexagons in your "leaf" print
Jane's templates are perfect for use with 2.5" strips in addition to fussy cutting.

 Baste your hexagons and whipstitch as laid out above. (If you need information on how to baste & whipstitch hexagons, you should check out the Craftsy BOM - it's free and Amy Gibson from Stitchery Dickory Dock has put together some great video tutorials. Hexagons were in the April tutorial)

Starch & press (really, if you don't starch, please try it!) and then remove basting stitches and paper templates. Press again if desired.

Decide on a background fabric and pin in place. Applique the motif on by machine or by hand as per personal preference. Your block is complete!

 My husband was kind enough to put together a block (digitally) that shows what your block could look like if you took the time and the effort to fussy cut all your hexagons - doesn't it look gorgeous when it's all perfect and symmetrical?


And here is what a 4 block layout could look like! Thank you, husband ♥

1 comment:

  1. OMG !! I really like these. I love creative people and love them even more when they share their brilliance with us. I really like the contents of this post, so keep it up dear.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, please let me know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis

Online Quilting Class